This month coming *December, has TWO full moons. This is the BLUE MOON! I find when its the Blue Moon, magic is endless. I believe it to be good luck . However, when 2 moons are in the same month, it is a weather mans' dream come true. There are storms brewing and the tides are whacky. Look for a windy and rainy/snowy month ahead! Here are some Myths/Folklore of the moon for you. Enjoy!
The moon cycles from the darkest point, known as a new moon, to a bright round full moon approximately every 30 days.
- When the moon points up, the weather will be good, when it points down, it will rain
- When a large star, or planet, is near the moon, the weather will be violent
- Fog and a small moon bring an easterly winds
- When the moon is low, the tides will be higher than normal
- When the moon is at its brightest, the tides are high
- Deaths occur most often when the tide is going out, and births occur when the tide is coming in
- People once believed the moon was made of silver, so they would ask
the moon for help and jingle the change in their pockets, as they gazed
at it's glory.
- Legend says that to cure warts, catch some moonbeams in a metal basin and wash your hands in it, saying "I wash my hands in thy dish, 'O man in the moon, do grant my wish, and come and take this away"
- It was thought that to sleep in direct moonlight caused madness or blindness.
- In time, the word, Lunatic, from "luna"
, meaning moon, and "tic"
, meaning struck, evolved from this belief.New MOON!!!!!!!!
When a person sees the new moon for the first time, they are to bow to
it three times, or three times three, in honor of the ancient Egyptian Trinity; Osiris, Isis, and Horus, (the father, mother, and son).
- The new moon is a great time for planting, courtship, the starting of new business ventures, or trips.
- It is also the best time to cut the hair and fingernails for better growth later on.
- An old English tradition holds that a housewife seeing the new moon
for the first time, should run quickly to her bedroom and turn down her
bed to ensure a happy marriage.
- At first sight of the new moon, one should turn a silver coin in his purse or pocket and make a wish.
- Seeing a new moon for the first time on a Monday will bring you good luck.
- If the first time you see a new moon, is over your right shoulder, it is a sign of fun times ahead.
- If you happen to be holding something, in both of your hands, when
you see the new moon for the first time, you will never want for
- A wish made whilst looking at new moon will come true within a year
Bad luck : It is unlucky to view the first new moon through glass or through a tree, it is also unlucky to point at the moon.
- It is bad luck to dig a grave or bury a body during a new Moon.
- If the new moon is on Monday, then the weather will be good
- If a new moon occurs on a Saturday, then there will be twenty days of wind and rain
- If a new moon occurs on a Sunday, there will be a flood before the month is out.
- The strongest storms and hurricanes are likely to be 1-3 days after a new moon and 3-5 days after a full moon.
- To see the thin crescent over ones left shoulder is lucky
Charms and Amulets, in the shape of a crescent moon, are used to protect you from the evil eye, witchery and advance individual prosperity.
- The Crescent must always point to the left, this represents the first quarter of the moon, when things prosper and grow.
- In Roman times, women used to wear silver moon crescents on their shoes to ensure having healthy babies.
FINALLY THE FULL MOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Legend:
Witches are said to ride during the Full Moon.
- A werewolf in folklore and mythology is a person who shape-shifts into a wolf, with the appearance of the full moon
- Two full Moons in the same month will cause severe weather in the following month.
- Women who stare at the full moon, or lay in the moonlight, will become pregnant. Some say she will give birth to a monster.
- It is said that if a young girl holds a silk hankie at the face of
the full moon, desiring to know when she will be married, the number of
moons appearing, will indicate the number of years she shall wait.
- If you get married during the Full Moon, you will have good luck and good fortune.
- Children born on a full moon, will be strong.
- Blowing nine times on a wart while the Moon is full will make the wart go away.
- You will fail, if you try to commit robbery on the third day of a full moon.
- A full Moon on Christmas day brings misfortune.I also have an interesting read for Folklore on Blue Moons!
Historically, moons were given folk names, twelve each year, to help
people to prepare for different times of the year and the related
weather and crop needs. Names varied with locality and culture, often
with descriptive names such as harvest moon, growing moon, snow moon , and egg moon.
Most years have 12 moons (giving 12 names), but in the years with
thirteen full moons the monthly "seasons" would be expected to come too
early – for example, hens would not recommence laying their eggs by the
fourth full moon since it was still too cold – so the early moon was
named a "blue moon". This then re-aligned the rest of the year's moons
The origin of the term "blue moon" is steeped in folklore, and its
meaning has changed and acquired new nuances over time. Some folktales
say that when there is a full blue moon, the moon had a face and talked
to those in its light.
I do hope you enjoyed a little folk lore of our wonderful moon!!! December 1st...WORK YOUR MOON MAGIC!!!! :)
Have a blessed week ahead.
Now on and taking calls till 1pm Eastern Standard time. I will return in the later evening. Thank you.