Chakras are energy centers that run up the spine from the base to the crown and make up your overall vibration. There are seven chakras in total, and they are heavily influenced by our internal world – our thoughts and feelings and can be susceptible to our external environments.
Our chakras require spiritual cleaning regularly. When they become blocked or are overactive energy healers, reiki practitioners, and shamans can help us realign them. However, there are also things we can do and use to help unblock them ourselves. This includes affirmations, yoga, meditation, and crystals.
Below is a detailed guide to understanding the throat chakra along with spiritual practices to help you bring a blocked chakra back into alignment.
Throat Chakra Meaning
The throat chakra is the fifth chakra located near the larynx and is responsible for expression, communication, and self-confidence. Its Sanskrit name, “vishuddha” means to purify impurities which is the essential function of this chakra. When we have a balanced throat chakra, we are able to send and receive messages without judgment or strong reaction. We can hold space for others and offer a safe place for people to talk to us about their problems.
A balanced throat chakra teaches us to be impeccable with our word, express ourselves with great clarity, and listen deeply. Words are powerful and they can manifest our reality.
Throat Chakra Color
The throat chakra is typically represented by the color blue, specifically light blue or turquoise. Blue is believed to have a calming effect and is commonly associated with honesty, empathy, and communication.
Throat Chakra Opening Symptoms
When our throat chakra is open and healthy, we speak our truth honestly and confidently. We understand the power that our words have and so we only speak into existence that which we wish to see – we don’t speak negatively about ourselves or others.
Symptoms of a throat chakra imbalance can include:
- Tight shoulders
- Being fearful about speaking your truth
- Staying quiet or being overly chatty in social situations
- Feeling shy
- Oversharing or talking without thinking
- Dishonesty and insensitivity
- Lashing out when upset
- Social anxiety
- Inability to listen to others
- Difficulty making sound decisions
Empaths may struggle with an unbalanced throat chakra as they can be easily influenced by the emotions of others. They may take on other people’s feelings as their own and can be easily swayed by the opinions of others. They put others’ needs before their own. Their lack of energetic boundaries can throw several chakras out of alignment but a clear sign of an unbalanced throat chakra is excessively people-pleasing. For those who have partially developed their throat chakra, they may speak their boundaries but when that is met with resistance from others, they may feel guilty or back-pedal to keep the peace.
Symptoms that your throat chakra is opening include:
- A raspy voice or sore throat
- A pressing need to express yourself creatively
- Improved listening skills
- Speaking the desires of your heart with ease and confidence
- Developing healthy boundaries and honoring them regardless of opposition
- Less desire to gossip, overshare, or get swept up in other people’s drama
- Sharpened manifestation skills
- Alignment of heart and mind
- Feeling seen, heard, and valued
- Internal validation
- Improved relationships
Throat Chakra Affirmations
Affirmations are incredibly powerful tools for manifestation. Repeat the following affirmations every day to activate your throat chakra:
- I speak my truth, lovingly and authentically
- My words create my reality and so I only speak positive words
- By voicing my desires, I manifest my reality
- I am unafraid to ask for what I want
- I can speak my boundaries confidently and uphold them with integrity
- I uplift myself and others through honest communication
- When I speak, I heal
- My words and actions align
- I am truth, I speak truth, I sow truth
- I hold others in high regard
- I speak and listen with equal awareness
Throat Chakra Crystals
Crystals hold powerful healing properties that can help us align our chakras. You can use them in your daily practices, carry them on you, or wear them as jewelry to harness their power. Throat chakra crystals tend to also be blue and encourage you to speak your truth, occupy space, and communicate your authenticity.
Glittering blue and green, aquamarine is the stone of courage. It soothes your anxiety and connects you with your true voice with its calming healing properties.
As the name suggests, amazonite is a stone of warrior women. It aligns your heart chakra to your throat chakra so that you can express the desires of your heart confidently. If you struggle with self-doubt or excessive anxiety about what people think of you, this crystal can help you feel more self-assured. Build trust in yourself with amazonite.
This beautiful crystal is deep blue and flecked with gold. It is a powerful talisman for writers as the stone encourages creative expression and eloquence. If you are searching for inspiration, this is a great stone to reach for. It will also help you strengthen self-awareness and attract positive friendships into your life.
Sodalite boosts confidence and encourages healthy communication. If you have to give a public speech or make a presentation, this crystal can ensure everything runs smoothly. It encourages rational thought and the ability to verbalize your thoughts and feelings clearly and kindly.
Blue Lace Agate
If you struggle with sometimes saying the wrong thing or sharing information you shouldn’t, blue lace agate can help you act with more diplomacy. Carry this crystal when you have a job interview or give a public speech. It is also extremely beneficial for moments when you have to have difficult conversations, encouraging us to speak our truth humbly and authentically.
If you struggle with social anxiety, celestite will be your cheerleader. This stone is incredibly calming and radiates peace. It is also helpful for those who can be hot-headed or easily frustrated. Carry this stone on you to be more patient in your communication with others.
Larimar is incredibly powerful because it aligns the upper chakras – the heart, throat, third-eye, and crown chakra. By connecting these four chakras, our hearts and mind become aligned and we can speak our truth honestly and effectively. It helps quell fears and honor our divine purpose with confidence.
Blue calcite harnesses the powers of the third eye chakra with the throat chakra. It helps you develop your intuition, receive divine guidance, and communicate this. This is a great stone for tarot readers and other psychics as it helps relay information from your spirit guides to the querent clearly.
How to Use Throat Chakra Stones
There are several ways you can harness the power of throat chakra crystals aside from wearing them as jewelry:
- Hold your crystal in your palm while you meditate and place it before you.
- Hold your gemstones while you repeat affirmations to amplify your affirmations.
- Keep them with you while journaling.
- Put your stone under your pillow at night while you sleep.
- Place on a windowsill by your bed to charge in the moonlight.
- Take a crystal bath. You can place them in the bath with you along with some bath salts.
- Carry them on your person in your pocket, wallet, car, or bag.
Aligning your throat chakra is deeply beneficial to your personal development. It helps you step into your power and honor your authentic self. You can speak freely and clearly your heart’s desires balanced with rational thought and manifest the life you want.
Looking for some crystals to add to your spiritual practices? Shop House of Intuition for quality, ethical gemstones available for purchase in stores in Los Angeles and online.