If cleansing your chakras isn’t already a part of your spiritual self-care routine, it should be. It’s believed that our chakras energize the physical body, thus influencing physical, emotional, and mental wellbeing. When the chakras are in balance, so is the health of your body and mind. Chakra literally means to “wheel” in Sanskrit, so think of chakras like the catalysts (or wheels) of free-flowing positive energy.
However, life experiences — particularly negative ones — can raise self-defense mechanisms in one chakra or several depending on the circumstance. Some examples of why chakras get blocked include physical and mental illness, addiction, stress, sitting at a desk all day, poor sleep and/or health habits, grief, and even karma. This leads to the suppression of energy that’s flowing through the chakras that can be described as “blocked” or “closed.”
So then, what is chakra cleansing? Otherwise known as chakra healing, this exercise helps to bring balance back to the energy flow in the entire body, or specific parts — chakras. Of course, to be clear, if you have a block due to a physical element like a tumor, chakra cleansing alone isn’t going to heal the situation. It’s only meant as an aid to support such illnesses — particularly in an emotional and mental capacity.
Here’s what you need to know about identifying blockages in the different parts of your body so that you can cleanse them properly. There are general cleansing rituals you can partake of as well as specific ones that target a chakra individually — we’ve got both covered for you.
Signs of a Blocked Chakra
If you’re feeling “off,” take those thoughts and emotions seriously — especially if you’re experiencing more than just a bad day. Here are the blockage signs for each of the seven main chakras. And P.S.: Each chakra is tied to a specific chakra known as your power chakra — own it.
1st (Root Chakra — Muladhara)
The root chakra symbolizes your foundation (aka your roots.) When it’s blocked, you’ll feel as though you’re standing on shaky ground and everything and everyone appears as a threat. Where you’ll feel it: Base of the spine near the tailbone.
2nd (Sacral Chakra — Svadhisthana)
The sacral chakra helps us relate our emotions to those of others. An imbalance could mean you feel lack of control, particularly in areas of a sexual and creative nature. Where you’ll feel it: Lower abdomen, approximately two inches below the navel.
3rd (Solar Plexus Chakra Manipura)
The solar plexus chakra is all about confidence. A blockage could make you feel as though you have overwhelming feelings of self-doubt and shame. Where you’ll feel it: Upper abdomen in close proximity to the stomach.
4th (Heart Chakra Anahata)
The heart chakra is the bridge between spirituality and materialism. When blocked, you can have a hard time opening up to others — selfishness may also be at play. Where you’ll feel it: Right above your heart in the center of your chest.
5th (Throat Chakra Vishuddha)
The throat chakra aids the heart chakra in that it controls your ability to communicate with others, which in turn gives you personal power over your own voice. As you could imagine, when this chakra is blocked, it’s as though you don’t feel you have the ability to say what’s on your mind and heart. Where you’ll feel it: In the throat, of course.
6th (Third-Eye Chakra Ajna)
The third-eye chakra is linked to your ability to see the “big picture,” but when it’s blocked, it’s hard to connect to your intuition; this greatly hinders your decision-making abilities. Where you’ll feel it: Forehead between the eyes.
7th (Crown Chakra Sahasrara)
As the name suggests, the crown chakra is the topmost chakra that represents your connection to spirituality. However, you’ll know it needs to be cleansed when you experience feelings of emotional distress, disconnection (to people and things), and isolation. Where you’ll feel it: The top of your head.
General Chakra Cleansing Techniques
There’s nothing wrong with a general chakra cleansing to help you get back on track. It’s also a good solution for cleansing when you’re having a difficult time pinpointing where your imbalances are coming from.
Chakra Cleansing Bathing Ritual
Taking a soak in the tub with essential oils, herbs, and vibrational gemstones can help you balance your chakra while scoring some skin-loving benefits in the process. For the best results, treat yourself to a bathing ritual at least once a week.
- Before getting started, take a few moments to focus on each of your chakras. Concentrate and try to tune into which chakra(s) feel unbalanced. Educate yourself on the basics of essential oils, gemstones, herbs (more on that below) as each corresponds with a specific chakra.
- Once you’ve determined the right tools for your bath based on your current needs, add them to your running bath water. If you’re not a fan of herbs floating in your water, place them in a small muslim bag with a tie — the same can be done with gemstones if they’re on the smaller side.
- Add one cup of Epsom salts to soothe achy muscles and joints, encourage relaxation, and aid in the cleansing process.
- Create ambiance with candles, incense, a cup of herbal tea (or a detox juice), and soothing music.
- Add about 10 to 12 drops of essential oils; mix with your hand.
- Soak for a minimum of ten minutes, but feel free to stay as long as you like!
Crystals embody some of the highest vibrational frequencies on the planet, so it’s no surprise that they can lift the vibration of our chakras, cleanse them, and prompt them to operate at an optimal level.
Find a quiet, distraction-free place within your home to cleanse with crystals. Dim the lights, diffuse some essential oils, and turn on some soothing music. Make sure you’re comfortable — this includes the temperature of the room. Lay down and place the appropriate crystals on the chakra(s) that you wish to unblock. Breathe deeply in and out throughout the duration of the session — it can last for as little or long as you like, but aim for at least ten minutes. Here’s a guide to a couple of examples of crystals for each chakra, as well as proper placement.
- Base Chakra: red jasper or black tourmaline, between the inner thighs
- Sacral Chakra: citrine or carnelian, between your hip bones near reproductive organs
- Solar Plexus Chakra: citrine or yellow jasper, between your lower ribs and belly button
- Heart Chakra: rose quartz or green aventurine, directly in the middle of your chest — not on your actual heart
- Throat Chakra: turquoise or angelite, at your throat or next to it on the floor if balance is an issue
- Third Eye Chakra: sodalite or lapis lazuli, between your eyebrows
- Crown Chakra: clear quartz or amethyst, right above your head on the floor
Meditation is a personal practice that can help you gain a better understanding of yourself — bonus points for increased clarity and improved digestion and sleeping habits. If you’re new to meditation, it can be a bit difficult to focus at first. If you’re really struggling, start by using guided meditations such as those on an app such as Headspace, the Mindfulness App, and Calm.
- Make sure your environment is quiet and distraction-free. As with all types of cleansing, create a relaxing ambiance with candles, aromatherapy, soft music, ambient lighting, etc.
- Sit on the floor in a cross-legged fashion — use a pillow if that’s more comfortable. Sit up straight, but don’t put stress on your spine. Allow your hands to fall naturally upon your knees.
- While taking in deep and even breaths, visualize each chakra, from the root to the crown. Imagine energy flowing in and out of each. Don’t forget to incorporate each chakra’s color in your visualization (more on that below.)
- Focus on each chakra until you can truly see vibrant energy passing through. This can take several minutes, so don’t rush the process. The goal is to have a clear mental image of only beneficial energy streaming through your body.
More Specific Chakra Cleansing Techniques
If you’re having difficulty determining which chakras need cleansing, consider speaking to a psychic before diving into one (or more) of these cleansing techniques to ensure you’re treating the correct areas. Remember, you can use these tips to help you with other cleansing techniques like the aforementioned bathing ritual.
1st Chakra (Root)
- Cleansing technique: The root chakra is connected to the earth, so take off your shoes and take a walk in the elements, whether that’s grass, and, or even dirt.
- Color: Red
- Essential oils: Cedar wood, vetiver, cyprus
- Gemstones: Ruby, red garnet, black tourmaline
- What to eat: Nutritious red foods like tomatoes, berries, and beets.
- Meditation sound: lam
2nd Chakra (Sacral)
- Cleansing technique: The second chakra is associated with water, so take any opportunity to swim or wade in water — especially natural sources. Bathing rituals can be particularly helpful for those wishing to cleanse the sacral chakra.
- Color: Orange
- Essential oils: Jasmine, ylang ylang
- Gemstones: Orange carnelian, aragonite, orange calcite
- What to eat: Nutritious orange foods like carrots, melons, and oranges.
- Meditation sound: Vam
3rd Chakra (Solar Plexus)
- Cleansing technique: The third chakra is associated with the element of fire, so position yourself by a roaring fireplace or bonfire — even a good dose of vitamin D can help.
- Color: Yellow
- Gemstones: pyrite, citrine, tiger’s eye
- Essential oils: geranium, ginger, helichrysum
- What to eat: Nutritious yellow foods like pineapple, bananas, turmeric, ginger, and corn.
- Meditation sound: Ram
4th Chakra (Heart)
- Cleansing technique: Since the heart chakra is associated with air, deep breathing techniques and spending time in the great outdoors are beneficial cleansing techniques.
- Colors: Pink, green
- Essential oils: Rose, melissa
- Gemstones: Jade, rose quartz, kunzite
- What to eat: Nutritious green foods like avocado, leafy greens (think spinach and kale), and broccoli.
- Meditation sound: Yum
5th Chakra (Throat)
- Cleansing Technique: The throat chakra is associated with ether (similar to spirit), so sitting in an open space under a clear sky is a fabulous way to get this energy flowing appropriately.
- Color: Blue
- Essential oils: Geranium, lavender
- Gemstones: Aquamarine, turquoise, blue calcite
- What to eat: Nutritious blue foods like kelp, blueberries, dragon fruits, and currants
- Meditation sound: Ham
6th Chakra (Third Eye)
- Cleansing technique: Associated with light, cleanse this chakra but spending time outdoors or in a room with ample natural sunlight.
- Color: Purple
- Essential oils: Sandalwood, clary sage
- Gemstones: Lapis lazuli, moonstone, sodalite,
- What to eat: Nutritious foods like blackberries, purple kale, and grapes.
- Meditation sound: Sham
7th Chakra (Crown)
- Cleansing technique: The crown chakra embodies all of the elements, so the best way to unblock it is by meditating, chanting, or praying.
- Color: Violet
- Essential oils: frankincense, blue chamomile
- Gemstones: sugilite, amethyst, lepidolite
- What to eat: The crown chakra is not nourished with food, so rely on other cleansing practices.
- Meditation sound: Om